Who am I?

I am Amanda, a stay at home mother to two wonderful children, Fiona & Ferris. Fiona has Autism, possibly caused by a small genetic deletion at 22q13.1 (but not the region attributed to Phelan-McDermid Syndrome - although she presents similarly), but we cannot say for certain, as her particular deletion is undocumented. In other words, according to medical literature currently available, she is the only known person with a deletion in this exact region, and so it is of "unknown clinical significance" and we have no idea what her future holds. Currently she is almost completely non-verbal, her only real word with any real meaning being "boob" as she is breastfed. *gasp* Yes, you read correctly, my almost 3 year old daughter still nurses, and I'm proud of that fact. Ferris is a neurotypical little chubba bubba baby man. He gives me sanity, and hope, and comfort for the future. He is nearly 8 months old at the time of this writing, and he is my charming, adorable, little-big guy. He is also breastfed, and doesn't seem to mind sharing with Sissy, who is the neatest thing since pureed peaches in his eyes. Want to know more? Just ask!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Ramblings of an Insomniac

Before I get started, I'm going to have to ask you to forgive me tonight, as my thoughts are all over the place.  I feel compelled to write something, I am filled with emotion and thought and all with so much depth, but I cannot seem to formulate the words to express the things bouncing in my head right now.  I don't even know that that made any sense.  I'm really _____.  No words.  Go ahead, try.

So, totally random question, those of you with typical children, is it normal to get a case of Mine-itis at a very early age?  Like, I'm talking before even a year old.  Ferris has been so possessive of Eve-ry-thing since, oh, about 6 months, maybe even before, and it's just ridiculous. Everything is his.  If you take something from him, say the remote control for instance, he throws a fit, the likes of which you've never seen I'm sure.  I know all kids go through that phase, but I was under the impression that it started around 2 or so, not in infancy!  Am I alone here, or am I just wrong about when it begins?  I'm asking that honestly, because Ferris is my first typical child, and it's all totally new to me.  I'm so used to Fiona, and she has always marched to the beat of her own drum so to speak.  With Ferris being a typical child, it is almost like being a new Mom all over again.

Moving along...

We're finally getting our new dishwasher installed tomorrow.  The one that we have now is probably one of the earliest models out there, and it doesn't like me.  Mom has no problem using it, but when I turn it on, it gets stuck on the rinse cycle.  One night I started it up before bed, woke up and it was still going.  Initially I assumed someone else had done another load of dishes, but I couldn't see that anything new had been done.  I glanced at the dial, noted its position, and went about my morning, assuming someone had just restarted the same load, perhaps it didn't get properly clean.  A few hours later, I went to check on it, and it was still in the same position, still going, still rinsing.  The thing ran for around 14 hours at least.  I had to manually stop it.  Yes, the dishes were very clean.  Hah.  Anyway, we bought a fancy LG one, stainless, beautiful, awesome, and NEW.  Did I mention new?  I love new appliances.  Its like Christmas.  So they are coming to install that tomorrow.  They actually came last week, but turns out the old water line fitting was obsolete or something and old, like the other dishwasher, and we needed a different fitting, which the installers did not have, so we had to go buy one, and reschedule the install.  So now we have it, and they are coming tomorrow.  Yay!

Next on the chopping block...

We decided to go look at a house today, near here, thinking forward as we eventually want to buy our own place again after we've had time to accumulate some savings.  I saw this house a few days ago on my way home, and decided to take Nathan to look at it and see if it was worth calling about.  So we get there, and Ferris is in the car with us (Fiona stayed with her Grandma, she was having lunch when we left) so I had Nathan get out to look while I sat in the car, because he was asleep.  I figured if it was worth looking at, he could tell me, and I could get out and have a peek.  So he comes back after a few minutes, and starts telling me what it was like, and then says a big string of expletives and gets out of the car, brushing his pant legs off furiously with his hands.  Then tells me he is covered in fleas.  I guess the backyard was totally infested.  Awesome.  Right about then several fleas jump up onto me and start having lunch.  These guys were starved.  So I start picking them off of my arm and flicking them out the window, and then putting my arm down in the floorboard on his side to draw them out, and flick them off over and over until I'm satisfied they are no longer in the car, and Nathan continues to move around the driveway brushing off his clothes.  Finally he had to just strip down to his skippies (thankfully for him he wears boxers) and put his clothes into a bag (thankfully we hadn't cleaned the car out recently and had bags to use) and put in the back.  Then went to WalMart, got flea spray, and a change of clothes, and drove out to the lake and jumped in to get them all off.  He had thousands of them on him at one point (before stripping off his clothes).  Needless to say, but I will anyway for the sake of clarity, we are going to have to pass on that house.  Oh yeah.

Hmm, what else...

Fiona's Birthday party was a huge success.  We went to Chuck E. Cheese's and she had a great time.  Fantastic, even.  Not many people showed up, but it was Memorial Day weekend after all, so I can't be too upset or surprised that everyone had other plans or forgot.  We had a pretty good time either way.  Fiona tickled us all with her genius.  When the guy in the mouse suit came out, she knew he wasn't the same one behind the little curtain (the animatronic one), and she kept trying to open the curtain and prove that there were 2 Chuck-E-Cheeses.  We were all having a good laugh about that.  None of the other kids there even thought twice about it or made that connection, but Fiona was determined to find out how/why there were 2 of them.  She also surprised us when it was time for the cake.  They brought it out, and lit the candles, and then Nathan said "Let's blow out your candles" and started to lean forward to help her, and she just blew them out all on her own before he got the chance!  This is a first for her.  We have tried to get her to blow bubbles to no avail, and she has never done her cake candles at previous birthdays (granted this was only her 3rd one, but still), and then she just did it just like that.  I am so proud of her!  We also got a lot of really cute pictures (check my facebook to see them).  We want to go back again sometime just for the heck of it.  We ended up with a lot of extra tokens because we were expecting more kids, so we had tokens for more kids than actually came, and we weren't able to spend them all no matter how hard we tried in the time allotted for the party.  LOL.  So I just stuck them in her gift bag and figured we'd go back another time and use them up then.

In other news...

My 5th wedding anniversary is coming up in a few days.  Monday in fact.  Cool huh.  This makes 11 years of actually being a couple too.  That's a long damned time, right?  Doesn't seem that long though, so I guess we're having fun. <3  Hopefully we can afford to go out and do something nice & fun.  It will have to be Tuesday though.  Nathan works on Monday.  I'm hoping we can manage to go out for Sushi. I've been craving it like mad.  Maybe we can even go catch a movie or something too.  We haven't done that in a while.  We've actually only been to one movie since Fiona was born, and that was before I was even pregnant with Ferris, so it has certainly been a long while.  Would be nice to get out and do something fun for a change.  Oh, and I want a damned pedicure.  I've been putting it off for 2 months now because money has been tight, but I want my feet done!!!  ARRGGGHHH

What else...

Ferris is starting to crawl finally.  He is such a big boy, it's taken him some time to get himself pushed up.  It's still mostly army crawling, but he occasionally gets his bum up in the air and gets some momentum.  It's really cute.  He weighs 23 pounds at 10 months old.  I'm tired and having a hard time remembering his last length measurement a couple weeks ago, but I think it was 28 or 29 inches long.  I'm not looking at his chart though so I could be wrong.  I remember the weight though was for sure 23 pounds.  Such a big boy! <3

Well, I think I've typed enough for one post, and my eyes are getting heavy so maybe I can actually SLEEP.

Good night.  Well, its nearly 5 a.m. so I guess I should say good morning, but I'm going to sleep.  Night night.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment