Who am I?

I am Amanda, a stay at home mother to two wonderful children, Fiona & Ferris. Fiona has Autism, possibly caused by a small genetic deletion at 22q13.1 (but not the region attributed to Phelan-McDermid Syndrome - although she presents similarly), but we cannot say for certain, as her particular deletion is undocumented. In other words, according to medical literature currently available, she is the only known person with a deletion in this exact region, and so it is of "unknown clinical significance" and we have no idea what her future holds. Currently she is almost completely non-verbal, her only real word with any real meaning being "boob" as she is breastfed. *gasp* Yes, you read correctly, my almost 3 year old daughter still nurses, and I'm proud of that fact. Ferris is a neurotypical little chubba bubba baby man. He gives me sanity, and hope, and comfort for the future. He is nearly 8 months old at the time of this writing, and he is my charming, adorable, little-big guy. He is also breastfed, and doesn't seem to mind sharing with Sissy, who is the neatest thing since pureed peaches in his eyes. Want to know more? Just ask!

Friday, March 25, 2011

Coupons, Coupons, Coupons...


I am seriously in love with couponing. I've been building up my coupon stash and week by week the deals are getting better and better. Thursday's shopping trip was quite a hit. I spent a grand total of $180 out of pocket at Walgreens and Target, and received $20 in Walgreens Register Rewards (credit for future store purchase good for 2 weeks), and a $5 gift card from Target. Should have been $10, but I wasn't paying attention and grabbed the wrong thing for one of them, but still got a great deal on what I got. So add in the rewards credit & gift card and I spent $155, which is about what I'd spend in one week on groceries before doing coupons so seriously, and this is on a budget bargain week of groceries. I have expensive tastes... If I wasn't watching the budget, a weekly expense of $200-$250 was completely normal for me. I seriously am shocked when people say they spend around the $50 mark in a week on food. My record low was still around $100 for the longest time. Again, this was before my life took the coupon detour. This week, I'm actually eating for free when you break it all down.

I bought with my $155... (full retail value or sale price in brackets)

A weeks worth of groceries. [$125]
3 Mens Gilette ProGlide razors [$10 ea sale price ($30)]
1 Gilette ProGlide razor cartridge refill 4 pk [$15 sale price]
1 mens Schick Quattro razor/trimmer [$6 sale price]
1 womens Venus Spa Breeze razor [$7.50 sale price]
1 Venus razor cartridge refill 4 pk [$15 sale price]
2 boxes L'Oreal Preference hair dye [$8 ea ($16)]
1 Method hand soap [$3]
1 Always pantyliner 40 count [$4]
2 Dove dark chocolate bars [$0.50 ea sale price ($1)]
1 Gilette fusion shave cream [$4]
1 John Frieda full restore shampoo [$6]
1 John frieda full restore conditioner [$6]
2 John Frieda full restore root lift foam [$7 ea ($14)]
2 Suave professionals dry shampoo spray [$4 ea ($8)]
2 Biore pore strips [$7 ea ($14)]
2 Biore moist facial cleansing cloths 60 ct refill packs [$8.50 ea ($17)]
Cat food [$13]
2 Crest ProHealth mouthwash [$3 ea ($6)]
3 Reach mint waxed floss [$1.75 ea ($3.50)]
1 Plackers floss picks [$2]

Okay so that's $191 of non-grocery items, $316 altogether, and $345 if you add tax. I'd say I did pretty good. I underestimated my values earlier when I just glanced at the pile of goods. Now that I actually look at the itemized list, I'm even prouder of myself.

Ahhhh... It feels so good to save money. And we are set on razors and hair products for a good long while. LOL

I'm still learning, but if you're interested in getting into hardcore couponing, I'd be glad to help you get started. It's a bit time consuming at first, but it is so worth it. And the longer you do it, and the more you learn the art, the less you actually spend at the checkout. Also be sure to tune in to TLC on April 6 for Extreme Couponing, maybe you will pick up some tips!

Happy couponing!

No comments:

Post a Comment