Who am I?

I am Amanda, a stay at home mother to two wonderful children, Fiona & Ferris. Fiona has Autism, possibly caused by a small genetic deletion at 22q13.1 (but not the region attributed to Phelan-McDermid Syndrome - although she presents similarly), but we cannot say for certain, as her particular deletion is undocumented. In other words, according to medical literature currently available, she is the only known person with a deletion in this exact region, and so it is of "unknown clinical significance" and we have no idea what her future holds. Currently she is almost completely non-verbal, her only real word with any real meaning being "boob" as she is breastfed. *gasp* Yes, you read correctly, my almost 3 year old daughter still nurses, and I'm proud of that fact. Ferris is a neurotypical little chubba bubba baby man. He gives me sanity, and hope, and comfort for the future. He is nearly 8 months old at the time of this writing, and he is my charming, adorable, little-big guy. He is also breastfed, and doesn't seem to mind sharing with Sissy, who is the neatest thing since pureed peaches in his eyes. Want to know more? Just ask!

Friday, March 25, 2011

Good Morning, Sunshine


The other day I wrote about our bedtime routine. Well, we also have a morning routine. When Fiona wakes up, and I get her from her room, and get her diapered, I will extend my hand to her, and she will hold my hand. Then she will lead me into our living room, over to my computer desk, turn the chair around to face us, pat the chair, then pull me to it, and then push me until I sit down. Then she climbs in my lap to nurse. This is one of the ways that I said she can tell us what she wants without really speaking. It's actually quite funny.

Another thing she does sometimes, if I'm holding Ferris, she will pull Nathan over to us, and put his hand on Ferris until he picks him up so she can climb in my lap. She also directs our hands to open door locks, point to objects, and unlatch her high chair tray when she is ready to get up. Like, she seriously lines our hands up right on the latches. Hehe. Also, before she learned how to scale a baby gate, she would direct our hands to the latch on that as well when she wanted to go through one. Of course now we just scale over them like they were nothing, even the tall ones.

Oh, back to the mornings. There was a perfect example of my circle-speak. After nursing for a few minutes, we're ready to get in our high chair and have breakfast while we watch The Wiggles or Play With Me Sesame.

Love this girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment